The Southside Health Careers Exploring Program is a semester long program for high school and college students to explore the many health career options in the Tri-Cities region. The Health Careers Exploring Program is brought to our region by Southside Health Education Foundation in partnership with the co-educational Boy Scouts’ Learning for Life Program and with funding from the John Randolph Foundation, Bank of America Charitable Foundation, the Cameron Foundation and the Community Foundation serving Richmond and Central Virginia. Additional partners include hospitals, health care providers, and colleges and universities.
When: We will host two sessions during the 2015-2016 school year.
Fall 2015 Session
Orientation: Tuesday, August 18, 2015 CLOSED
Dates: September 15 & 29, October 13 & 27, November 10 & 24 and December 8 & 22, 2015.
Time: 6:00 to 8:00 pm
Spring 2016 Session
Orientation: Tuesday, January 19, 2016
Dates: February 9 & 23, March 8 & 22, April 12 & 26 and May 10 & 24, 2016.
Time: 6:00 to 8:00 pm
Who: Youth, 16 to 20 years old, residing in the cities of Colonial Heights, Hopewell, Petersburg and the counties of Dinwiddie, Prince George County, Sussex, and Southeastern Chesterfield (Chesterfield zip codes 23831, 23836, 23838, 23803).
In this program students will:
• be introduced to health careers and current practitioners through “hands-on” monthly meetings
• learn the educational requirements for specific health careers
• become familiar with health care facilities and post-secondary educational campuses
• learn about available financial resources for secondary education
• map a personal health career pathway
The program is ideal for:
• Students who are the first in their families to pursue education beyond high school
• Non-college bound students who may want to pursue technical training
• Students who know they want to pursue health careers
• Students who need guidance in determining a career path
• All students who are curious and engaged in thinking about their futures
Questions??? Contact Sherry L. Channell, Program Manager, at 804-720-8067 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Enroll now – only 40 positions are available!
SAVE THE DATE
Health Careers Explorers
Middle School Camp
June 20-24, 2016
More info coming soon!
2015 Wine & Dine
Celebrate All Things SHEF
November 21, 2015
The Jefferson Hotel
When residents from our region find great, well-paying jobs in our own backyard, they stay here, raise families here and build their lives here. Scholarship applications are accepted from individuals affiliated with the region as a resident, healthcare employee or student.