Finance Your Education through SHEF
Support from SHEF may take the form of an award, scholarship or forgivable loan. Individuals who are affiliated with SHEF’s service region in one or more of the following ways may be eligible to apply for financial support:
Resident: Primary home address is located in one of the below jurisdictions.
Employee: Employed at a health care provider or ancillary service in one of the below jurisdictions.
Student: Enrolled in an accredited secondary or post-secondary program located in one of the below jurisdictions.
Chesterfield County (zip codes 23838, 23836, 23831, or 23803), City of Colonial Heights, County of Dinwiddie, City of Hopewell, City of Petersburg, County of Prince George, County of Sussex or Colonial Heights.
FINANCIAL SUPPORT GUIDELINES
- All students applying for financial support with Southside Health Education Foundation (SHEF) must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) form and submit a copy of their Student Aid Report (SAR) with the completed SHEF Application to the SHEF Office. The Financial Support Committee will review these documents before deciding on the student’s application for aid.
- Applicants must be planning to or be enrolled in a course of study that leads to graduation in any healthcare field of study.
- Preference will be given to students enrolled in colleges or schools providing healthcare training in the Tri-Cities area (Petersburg – Colonial Heights – Hopewell). SHEF shall give preference to students from the Tri-Cities area, Sussex, Surry, Prince George, Southern Chesterfield and Dinwiddie Counties, as well as applicants planning to obtain employment in these communities following completion of the program.
- Applicants must be planning to be enrolled or be enrolled in at least six credit hours per term in order to be eligible for an award. SHEF will accept applications from traditional (immediately out of High School) and non-traditional (all others) applicants.
- No award shall be made without authorization and approval of the Board of SHEF.
- No awards may be made to applicants who have a direct or indirect personal or financial relationship with SHEF or with any member of the SHEF Board of Directors.
- Unless otherwise determined by SHEF, all scholarship monies will be sent directly to the educational institution of the recipient after enrollment is verified.
- An award recipient must notify SHEF of any change in address, academic status, course of study and/or other material change needed for the administration of the award.
- SHEF retains the right to withdraw any funds awarded for failure to attend courses, loss of student status, conviction of a felony charge, low academic performance (below 2.0 GPA) or any misuse of scholarship funds. If revocation should occur, the student has 14 days to submit a request in writing for an appeal to the SHEF Financial Support Committee. If no letter is received during the 14-day period, the original decision will be binding. Recipients are limited to one appeal per academic award year.
SHEF accepts scholarship applications throughout the year. Before submitting your application, make sure you read and understand the financial support guidelines.
Complete and mail with your official transcripts in a sealed envelope from your school(s) to:
Southside Health Education Foundation
P.O. Box 867
Colonial Heights, VA 23834
If you have any questions or need further assistance, write to email@example.com.